FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
DEPARTMENT OF PHILOSOPHY
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria’s commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Teaching and curriculum development at both undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- The supervision of postgraduate students;
- Research at an internationally competitive level, appropriate to the post level;
- Academic administration and other duties at both departmental and faculty level as determined by and agreed with the Head of Department;
- Participation in the Department’s strategic initiatives relating to teaching, research, community engagement and fundraising.
- An MA in Philosophy;
- Evidence of substantive progress towards a doctorate in Philosophy, understood as evidence of being in the final 3-6 months of completion of a PhD programme in Philosophy by the time of commencement of duties (the second semester of 2021);
- A research record, appropriate to the post level;
- Evidence of appropriate online and face-to-face undergraduate teaching experience at tertiary level.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Expertise in either metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of language or philosophy of mind in the analytical tradition or in feminism, phenonemology and existentialism, critical theory, or the philosophy of race in the continental tradition;
- A commitment to teaching at all levels both in core modules in philosophy and in enrichment courses taught to students from other faculties;
- A commitment to work to continually revise the curriculum;
- Recognition by peers and academic status as a specialist in the field, appropriate to the post level;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Appropriate administrative skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
The following will be a strong recommendation:
- A doctorate in Philosophy;
- At least two articles in accredited journals and evidence of participation in local and international conferences;
- Additional expertise in ancient philosophy, the philosophy of science, the philosophy of medicine, or the philosophy of economics;
- Prior experience of teaching groups with large student numbers;
- Evidence of supervision experience and academic citizenship and an ability to lead and mentor postgraduate students.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and go to About UP. Select Career Opportunities and select the position you want to apply for.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
CLOSING DATE: 7 May 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Prof Emma Ruttkamp-Bloem, [email protected] for enquiries relating to the post content and Vicky Reynders, [email protected] for application-related enquiries.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 July 2021 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.